Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Live-blogging SOTU


I've been woefully lax.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've lost all my readers. But, as you know, I've had lots on my plate. Yesterday, I got the flu bug that I've been fending off for the last few weeks, and have been in bed all yesterday and today. Since I'm just laying here in bed, I thought I'd live-blog on my laptop. I'm listening with Mike Malloy to keep from screaming.

It's just incredible. Barely had he opened his mouth when he came out with that Luntzian phrase 'Democrat majority'. Then he went on to talk about "No Child Left Behind" and subtly espouse vouchers.

6:50 - Well, let's see - he's talked about health care. And his solution is to eliminate 'junk lawsuits'. Meaning, of course, closing off any avenues for redress after the overburdened health care system denies you care.

Private health accounts. Why do they get to profit from our misery?
What else? Oh yes, the economy is just peachy keen. Isn't that swell?

The Senate must give my judicial nominees their eager support and an immediate up-and-down vote. That's their job. My job's to give the orders, your job is to do what I say, see? Order-giving is hard work. Don't make my job any harder by arguing with me. It ain't no use.

And one of the most jaw-dropping statements of all - that "Yet one question has surely been settled — that to win the war on terror we must take the fight to the enemy." It has not, you cretin!!! Quit lying!

6:56 - Nucular, nucular, nucular. Sunni extremists?

Oh god. He's talking about an African. Yay Mtumbo. 'Son of the Congo'. Sounds a little too 'Little Black Sambo' for my taste, but that's just me.

And notice that he said "Global Climate Change" instead of Global Warming. The devil's in the details, folks.


Now he's praising a former gas-station attendant-turned-hero-soldier. Isn't that wonderful?

"We've been through a lot together"? You've put us through hell - that's what you mean.

7:05 - It's over. Nothing about Katrina. The silence screams. Waiting for Jim Webb.

7:17 - Jim's up. Missed first part, but got there in time to hear him mention Katrina.

He's talking about the difference between what constitutes a 'good economy' for the rich - high Dow - and what it means for the rest of us. He mentioned that it takes an average worker a year to make what an average CEO makes in a day.

"The President took us into this war recklessly. He disregarded warnings from the national security adviser during the first Gulf War, the chief of staff of the army, two former commanding generals of the Central Command, whose jurisdiction includes Iraq, the director of operations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and many, many others with great integrity and long experience in national security affairs. We are now, as a nation, held hostage to the predictable – and predicted – disarray that has followed."


And he does not shrink from mentioning the Robber Barons. Here's the text of Jim Webb's response.

On C-Span, they're trying to find people who agree with Bush. The only one was what sounded like a very young guy saying, in effect, "I support Bush because he knows more than we do".

How Britney of him.

Here's the full text of the KKofK's SOTU. I can't do it any more.

Update - I just noticed, when I checked the transcript on Raw Story, they have written "Democratic majority" instead of what he said, which was
"Democrat majority". Check the tape!

5 comments:

Yoga Korunta said...

Why does the mention of Luntz bring Orwell to mind?

jurassicpork said...

Right you are, Alicia. The Raw Story transcript says "Democratic majority", not Democrat. But how reliable is the RS transcript? I would think the WH transcript would be the definitive version.

All in all, it's obvious that Bush is just keeping his pointy head above water until 2009.The good news is that we'll have to suffer through just one more of these fucking things.

Nice picture, btw. It pretty much brings the SOTU Address to more realistic scale.

Alicia Morgan said...

JP, I think that the RS transcript was the one given out to various media sources before the speech. The WH transcript is what he actually said.

Thanks - I liked the pic, too.

Yoga, that's exactly the point. Now Franz Luntz is telling us to let bygones be bygones and not 'twist the knife in'. What a craven hypocrite.

Anne said...

we watched, horrified.
but not surprised in the least.
by any of it. sigh.
did you notice that obama never seemed to look up? i liked that.
i like him. jim webb was the antidote, for sure.
good to see you back!

Larry said...

Great post,

I couldn't stomach to watch an hour of Bush smirks and lies so I heard from the pundits.

There may be two years left, but will be still be left when Bush is gone?