Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An Evening With John Dean And Gore Vidal


I just got back from an unforgettable evening. Our local chapter of the Progressive Dems of America, PDLA, sponsored a talk with John Dean and Gore Vidal! It was held at a private home, and was also taped by C-Span. I bought John Dean's book the day it came out, so I brought along my copy and had him sign it 'to Hooterville'; now we have another 'book premium' for Hooterville For Habitat. "Conservatives Without Conscience" is an incredible book, and it has been a key to the thinking I've been doing along the lines of authoritarianism.

John Dean is a brilliant, morally courageous man, and it was a a privilege to listen to him speak in person. And as for Gore Vidal - what can you say? He is a living legend - frighteningly intelligent, with a razor-sharp wit. They don't make his kind anymore. He is a product of an era of respect for, appreciation of, and delight in the written and spoken word - 'le mot juste'. I just fell in love with him right there. To listen to the two of them have a conversation was a marvel. If it goes up on C-Span, you should watch it if you can. I came away inspired.

Plus, I heard a great new name for the Kowboy Koward of Krawford - "The Yellow Rose Of Texas"!

Yee-haw!

10 comments:

Yoga Korunta said...

Alicia, you are so pretty!

Alicia Morgan said...

...well, pretty bovine, anyway!

Sue said...

Alicia! Look atchoo all cute! What a great time you must have had!

Alicia Morgan said...

Not as cute as you, Sue, but I sure had an amazing time. John Dean was so nice. I got another book for my dad, and when I told him my dad wasn't well, he signed a really nice personal note.

DivaJood said...

Oh, I am so jealous. Not really, I'm in Australia, how can I be jealous? Anyway, did you tell him howdy from me?

Terry said...

That's very cool. Dean's book is on my impossibly long "to read" list.

Did you know that Gore Vidal is speaking at an election protection forum in Los Angeles next Saturday? He'll be at the Immanuel Presbyterian Church on Wilshire with Maxine Waters, Debra Bowen, and a lot of others who are doing election integrity work in CA.

Sue said...

Hi Alicia,

Just FYI, that's not my picture on my blog. It's Liz Taylor. I'm not quite as cute as Liz OR you!

Alicia Morgan said...

Sue - I'm sure we've all seen La Liz lately, and I can tell you're as cute as you wanna be!

Alicia Morgan said...

terry - I was going to be a volunteer at that event, but I have to go to Florida and visit my dad than. I'm really sorry I have to miss it. Are yoou going to be there?

Terry said...

I was torn between going to the election event and the San Diego Democratic Convention today, but I ended up having knee surgery this week, so my dilemma is solved. I'll be sitting at home on my toches instead. It sounds like we'll probably end up at the same event one of these days.